Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Understanding God vs.Hating Him

As a young child, I never understood why Atheism existed. I never understood how people could hate God or simply not believe in His existence. As I grew older, I still couldn't wrap my mind around this concept. How could you hate God?!..but then it happened.. I started to hate God..or at least I wanted to..but that time in my life showed me EXACTLY why people could hate God: People hate God most times because they simply do not understand Him...nor have they taken he time to get to know Him....OR what they have been exposed to has been a TOTAL misrepresentation of Him..Whatever the case may be, that lack of understanding has allowed room for emptiness, bitterness, and ultimately, hatred.

This generation has been brainwashed. We have the structure that society has built for us as the ONLY structure and the CORRECT structure. Anytime that structure shifts or negates what seems to be our logic, we deem it as WRONG and begin to blame God. Some of the most common situations that I have encountered from individuals who hate God are those who've encountered a different structure of parenting, those who have experienced deaths of someone extremely close to them, and/or those who have encountered extreme judgement from "religious" people. Let us analyze the above...


Damage from Parental/Family Structure:

There are sooo many different structures of family.. There are some of us who were raised in society's norm in a two parent househould..and then there is the majority who were not. These circumstances vary so much. There are those raised by the single parent. Those raised by grandparents and/or a legal guardian. Others who found themselves from foster home to foster home. Others who were adopted or raised by drastically older siblings. SOOOO many different circumstances, but many times these different circumstances generate some of the same impacts and questions: "WHY ME? Why do THEY have a mother and a father in a stable household, and I don't even know where I'm going to lay my head at night? And you say you love me God? And you say You have no respect of person? Why me? Why do THEY have a support system and I am struggling financially and emotionally trying to support myself? Why did I have to be the one with the dead beat parent? Why did I have to grow up without? WHY GOD?!"

Let me say this: JUST BECAUSE THE STRUCTURE PRESENTED TO US IS NOT THE ONE THAT COINCIDES WITH WHAT WE DEEM AS ACCURATE..DOESN'T MAKE IT WORNG..IT JUST MAKES IT DIFFERENT.

As "cliche" as it may sound, it is fact that God has a different plan for us all. A different plan. A different path..Otherwise we would have all been made the same with the same mind and the same circumstances right? But instead, God allows each circumstance, each conflict, each smile, to become a part of the unique journey that makes our very being. And this unique journey prepares us to become the parents, teachers, entrepreneaurs, etc. that we become. Yes, some journey's are MUCH harder than others, but I've always kept two things in mind. Number one: To who much is given, much is also required! Number two: God will NEVER put anything on us that we can't bare. Though every purpose is extremely important, some are more intricate and tedious and in return require a lot more preperation. Preperation through circumstances, trials, tribulations, people, etc.. Never underestimate any method of perperation. Embrace each season of your life. Learn from them, and take what you can. Don't resent the process.


Death:

So Painful. So devistating. What I'm learning is the reason that we dread death so much is generally for our own selfish reasons. WE hate the pain. The loss of a person. WE hate the fact that they are no longer tangible ESPECIALLY when a person meant so much to us. Death is a pain that never stops internally..But time heals. We learn to cope better and to move on. The question still remains, however, WHY? WHY did they have to go when they were so young?! Why did they have to get sick and suffer?! Why would you take the ONE person away from me that has ever loved me and been there for me? WHY GOD?!

I remember when I lost my aunt. It was the first death that I had experienced of someone that I was really close to. Was I in pain? Beyond words.. Did I question God?.. Not at all.. Partially because I had learned by that time in my life that His thoughts and ways are so much higher than ours.. So there are things that I may never understand.. And also because God allowed me to see that her purpose was more than fulfilled. My aunt had not hit 50 yet and she was a victim of cancer. She left a dughter, a gandson, and a WHHOOLLEEEEE community of people who absolutely ADORED her and her dedication to people and the community. I read an article about her that was written years before her death. She said and I quote

"You know, we kind of talk about what do we want people to say about us. Just say I fought like hell. I worked like hell, and I believed in my community and my people. And that I was a good mother, I'm doing the best I can to be an excellent grandmother, and that I just keep it real." 

She sacrificed so much of hersef and life to ensure that people did not go without. She dedicated herself and her life to the dreams of others. It's kind of hard to explain. She was just a REMARKABLE person to sum it up. But I vented on that to say that the PRIMARY root of my healing was the fact that I understood that she had accomplished and fulfilled the calling that God placed on her life to serve people and the community.

I'm also reminded of Sam Berns, a kid who died at the age of 13 from a disease known as "Progeria" which makes you age fast internally and externally. At the age of 13, Sam's body functioned as a 90 year old man and he also looked as such. I wanched a documentary on him and his family. He was expected to die, but he lived such a jolly life full of love and adventure despite his disease. His parents, though saddened by his departure from Earth, were extremely grateful and joyful that they were allowed the opportunity to share 13 years with such an amazing individual.

Now, I'm not implying the only means of death are diseases. Some are sudden. Others occur in car accidents, murders etc. There are even those cases when death occurs in the masses. Bottom line, we're not going to always understand the reason of their departure, nor is it for us understand all the time. I know we would like to think so, but we are not put on this Earth for our own purposes. Sorry. Our lives are NOT our own. Though it may hurt, and though death can be quite devistating, we have to learn not to be so selfish minded and to understand that though we may not understand, once one'e purpose is fulfilled, God may see fit to remove them from Earth. Let's not view purpose



 Judgement from "religious" people:

This topic is a very sensitive subject, however it MUST be addressed.
Please see the following blog post:



Thank you for hearing my heart on this matter. 

~Aleshia